Pushkinskaya st. 43. office 10
Rostov-on-Don, Russia
e-mail: info@hjournal.ru 
tel. +7(863) 269-88-14

cubsEN (2)

Institutional Alternatives of Food Embargo in the Conditions of a New Wave of Anti-Russian Sanctions (Case of Russian’s Meat Industry)

Institutional Alternatives of Food Embargo in the Conditions of a New Wave of Anti-Russian Sanctions (Case of Russian’s Meat Industry)

Journal of Economic Regulation, , Vol. 8 (no. 3),

The article examines the impact of anti-Russian sanctions and response measures on the agro-production in terms of identifying the benefits and costs of imposing a food embargo. It is emphasized that, in the context of the policy of "smart sanctions", the goal of retaliatory measures should be to create conditions for maximizing public welfare. The reality and analysis and calculations carried out, however, show the disaster of the embargo in relation to the consumption of meat and meat processing products for the "ordinary consumer". Based on the dynamics of the caloric index, the socioeconomic consequences of the one-sidedness of autarkic measures are shown. The conditions for ensuring food security under the conditions of the food embargo are schematically presented and the consequences of the existing embargo policy on the basis of statistical data for the consumption of meat products are calculated. It is shown that the growth in prices played a key role in the dynamics of the cost volume, and structural changes were associated with the further growth of large agricultural organizations in the structure of the industry. In conclusion, recommendations are offered in the field of institutional design for the improvement of economic policy.

Keywords: economic sanctions, food embargo, food security, institutional design

References:
  • Aganbegyan, A. G. (2015). Six Steps to Restore Socio-Economic Growth and Overcome Stagnation, Recession and Stagflation. Money and Credit, no. 2, p. 7–13 (In Russian.)
  • Altukhov, A. I. (2008). Food security as a factor of the country’s socio-economic development. The Economist, no. 5, p. 33–43. (In Russian.)
  • Afontsev, S. (2015). Exit from the crisis in the conditions of sanctions: the mission is impossible? Issues of Economics, no. 4, p. 20–36. (In Russian.)
  • Avarsky, N. D., Fetisova, Yu. V., and Hasanova, Kh. N. (2014). Influence of the embargo on the agro-food market of Russia. Economics of agricultural and processing enterprises, no. 12, p. 39–45. (In Russian.)
  • Barsukova, S. Yu. (2016). The dilemma “farmers-agroholdings” in the context of import substitution. Social Sciences and the Present, no. 5, pp. 63–74. (In Russian.)
  • Belokrylova, O. S. (2014). Institutional modernization of the strategy of economic development in conditions of compulsion to import substitution. Journal of Economic Regulation, 5(3), p. 6–13. (In Russian.)
  • Cortright, D. and Lopez, G. A. (eds.). (2002). Smart Sanctions: Targeting Economic Statecraft. N. Y.: Rowman & Littlefield.
  • Coulibali, B. (2009). Effects of financial autarky and integration: The case of South Africa Embargo. Journal of International Money and Finance, 28(3), p. 454–478.
  • Dementiev, V. V. (2009). What We Will Examine When We Investigate Institutions. Terra Economicus (The Economic Herald of Rostov State University), vol. 7, no. 1, p. 13–30. (In Russian.)
  • Dizaji, S. F. and van Bergeijk, G. (2012). Early phase success and long run failure of economic sanctions. With an application to Iran. International Institute of Social Studies. (http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2073475 – Дата обращения
  • 27.05.2017).
  • Economic sanctions against Russia: expectations and reality (2017). Monograph; team of authors; (Eds. R.M. Nureev). Moscow: KNORUS, 194 p. (In Russian.)
  • Eggertsson, T. (1997). Neoinstitutional Economics. The New Palgrave Dictionary of Economic and Law, vol. 2. The Macmillan Press Limited: London, p. 665– 671.
  • Farmer, P. Smith, M. and Nevil, P. Unjust Embargo of aid of Haiti. The Lancet, 361(9355), 420–423, 1 February 2003. (http://www.thelancet.com/pdfs/journals/lancet/PIIS0140-6736(03)12380-X.pdf).
  • Furubotn, E. und Richter (2010). Neue Institutionenökonomik: Eine Einführung und kritische Würdigung 4. Überarbeitete und erweiterte Auflage, Mohr Siebeck.
  • Galiev, T. A. (2008). Theoretical aspects of Russia’s food security. Theory of the evolution of socio-economic systems, ed. A. I. Tatarkin and V. I. Maevsky, RAS, UrB, Institute of Economics, p. 430–443. (In Russian.)
  • Garfield, R and Santana, S. (1997). The Impact of economic crisis and the US embargo on health in Cuba. American Journal of Public Health, 87(1), 15–20.
  • Gubanov, S. S. (2008). Neoindustrialization plus vertical integration (on the formula for the development of Russia). The Economist, no. 9, p. 3–27. (In Russian.)
  • Ishchenko-Padukova, O. A. and Movchan, I. V. (2017). Economic policy of import substitution: institutional conditions and imperatives of efficiency. Journal of Economic Regulation, 8(1), 76–84. (In Russian.)
  • Kapoguzov, E. A. and Chupin, R. I. (2014). Technical regulation of food quality: theoretical foundations in the context of the neoinstitutional approach and Russian experience. Public administration and public service, no. 4, 109–122. (In Russian.)
  • Kapoguzov, E. A. and Chupin, R. I. (2016). Social control in the field of food quality in Russia: theory and practice of self-regulation. Journal of Economic Regulation, 7(2), 38–48. (In Russian.)
  • Kuzovleva, I. A. and Sukharev, O. S. (2016). Agroindustrial complex as a generator of Russia’s new economic growth: state and capabilities. International scientific research, no. 3, p. 8–16. (In Russian.)
  • Malkina, M. Yu. (2014). Institutional basis for reducing the quality of goods and services in a market economy (I. Rozmainsky’s response). Journal of Institutional Studies, 6(4), 77–97. (In Russian.)
  • Shagaida, N. I. and Uzun, V. Ya. (2016). Food embargo and choice of priorities. Issues of Economics, no. 7, p. 93–105. (In Russian.)
  • Shagaida, N. I., Uzun, V. Ya. and Shishkina, E. A. (2016). How the food flows changed under the conditions of the embargo. Operative monitoring of the economic situation in
  • Russia. Tendencies and Challenges of Social and Economic Development, no. 6 (24), 18–23. (In Russian/)
  • Semin, A. N. (2015). Food Security of Russia in the Conditions of the Embargo. Economics of Agricultural and Processing Enterprises, no. 5, 9–14.
  • Sukharev, O. S. (2013). To the development of a comprehensive methodology for analyzing structural shifts. National interests: priorities and security, no. 13, 36.
  • Tambovtsev, V. L. (1997). Theoretical Foundations of Institutional Design. Issues of Economics, no. 3, 82–94. (In Russian.)
  • Usenko, N. I., Poznyakovskiy, V. M. and Otmakhova, Yu. S. (2014). “Palm paradise” or “palm octopus”? Modern trends and threats to the food market. ECO, no. 9, 135–152. (In Russian.)
  • Williamson, O. (2000). The New Institutional Economics: Taking Stock, Looking Ahead. Journal of Economic literature. Sep., 38(3), 595–613.
Publisher: Ltd. "Humanitarian perspectives"
Founder: Ltd. "Humanitarian perspectives"
Online ISSN: 2412-6047
ISSN: 2078-5429